Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Healthy & Low Calorie Breakfast Meal

In the mornings, I tend to really want a nourishing, filling meal that will last me till lunch time. I have been making these bagel thin breakfast sandwiches for awhile now and thought I would share what I use in it, the calorie info, and what else I add to most of my breakfasts to make it a complete, well rounded meal.

What you will need:

1 Bagel Thin (I use Thomas Bagel Thin Everything)
1 Egg (I usually use 2 servings of egg whites with about 50 calories, but I didn't have any today)
1 Slice Thin Colby Jack Cheese (Sargento is my favorite, it melts well)
2 Slices Turkey Bacon ( I use Butterball or Jenni-O Brand)
1/2 Wedge Laughing Cow Spreadable Cream Cheese


After I gather all my supplies, I pop the bagel into the toaster and get to work cooking up the egg and bacon. I spray both skillets with Pam and turn them both on to get a little warm then put the egg and bacon on to cook. While these are cooking I spread the 1/2 wedge of Laughing Cow Cream Cheese on one side of the Bagel Thin, and place the thin cheese slice on the other.
Once the bacon is slightly crisp and the egg is fully cooked, I put them both on the Bagel Thin. And there you have it, a healthier, low-calorie breakfast sandwich that is so good its addicting!

This sandwich has around 300 calories, using egg whites instead of a whole egg will save you an additional 20 calories, making the sandwich 280 calories. I also plan on using fat free cream cheese once I use up all of the Laughing Cow Cream Cheese Spread, which will save the sandwich an additional 15 calories. As can be seen there are a lot of different ways to make this sandwich even more low calorie, it's all completely up to you!

In addition to this sandwich I usually always have a side of fresh fruit. Whatever I have recently bought at the farmers market or grocery store, which this morning happened to be strawberries and grapes. I also enjoy a low-calorie iced coffee in the morning. I typically brew Starbucks Veranda Blend Blonde in the Keurig K-cups, put it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Then I add it to my Starbucks cup with ice and add 1 tablespoon of Sugar Free Coffee Mate French Vanilla Creamer and 1 tablespoon fat free Half & Half.

I also really enjoy having greek yogurt in the morning, it has a ton of protein in it and will keep you full for quite a while. Sometimes I use Chobani 0%, however, I have recently found Yoplait Greek 100 calorie yogurt which I love! I have tried Vanilla and Strawberry flavors and both were very good. I hope that they keep this product around for awhile and I hope that they end up making lots of new flavors!! These are kind of difficult to find at least in the area where I live, but I have had luck finding them at my local Albertsons store.
Let me know if you have tried any of the Yoplait Greek 100 flavors, or which one is your favorite. Also, let me know your favorite add ins to put in. This morning I put on mashed up strawberries that were leftover from a jam making process.

This is what my breakfast ends up looking like in the morning.

Cheers! 







No comments:

Post a Comment